Monday, June 24, 2013

Homestead Update

Things have been crazy around here lately. Work has been extremely busy and around the homestead as well. For those of you who have been reading these posts for a while know we have been trying to buy a new homestead to no avail. With our large family and the age of our home we needed another place. We currently live in a 2 bedroom house that was poorly constructed.

After hours of talking between my wife and myself ,we decided to purchase a double wide mobile home and put it on our land. We will be closing this week. So along with the normal things that are going on we have to prepare for the installation.

In the next couple of weeks I will be renting a stump grinder and a small backhoe. I have three stumps to grind, a power pole and meter box to put in, cable lines to run under the new house, as well as run water and sewer. All of this on top of the normal duties of the homestead.

The garden is going well. Harvesting zucchini and squash every other day. Collecting eggs daily. The peppers are just now starting to mature.

I think I have mentioned this before, but my wife has agreed to let me get rid of most of the lawn and go into full food and herb production mode. This means over the next couple of years this place is really going to look different. I am looking forward to the transformation.

As this transformation occurs I will be writing about our adventures as well as our misadventures. There will be tons of pictures that will be posted on The Rural Economist Facebook page. Come join in the conversation. Sorry so short this week, but I promise there is more to come.

Keep It Rural

By the way look for The Rural Economist Youtube channel coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment