Sunday, June 30, 2013

DIY Preparing for New Home


It is both an exciting and tiring time here at the Carter Homestead. We have signed on our new house. We are getting a very nice double wide that we were able to customize for us. It is scheduled to be set up this coming Wednesday.

 We are doing a lot of the work ourselves which is not only saving us a good bit of money, it is also providing a lot of teaching opportunities. I believe it should be every person's desire to teach someone else any and all skills they possess. I do not think this should be just between fathers and sons and mothers and daughters. Everyone should be willing to learn and teach.

I have come to the sad realization that have changed from the DIY culture to the DIFM (Do It For Me). I can understand doing a cost benefit analysis and determining that a person's time would be better spent making an income than doing a project. In these circumstances I can understand a person paying someone else to do a project, but I have seen adults pay other people to assemble a lamp. A LAMP! This is not the first time I have lamented people's unwillingness to learn.(Please see Really You Must Be Kidding. )

Pictured above is my youngest son Chance operating a stump grinder one of the things that was needed to prep the cite for our new home. I am proud that he is always willing to jump into anything I am working on. He has skills at 17 that many people twice his age have never tried. He makes me proud.

There will be many more experiences over the next couple of weeks as we move into our new home. I promise before and after photos when it is all said and done. Like the Rural Economist on Facebook for more photos.

Keep It Rural

1 comment:

  1. I have a suggestion. Since you are putting together this site, and stump grinding, odds are the roots will end up with termites. Those termites will eventually get into your doublewide, any wood you've got. Its a major problem for homes in California built over orchards. The termites take around 10 years to eat the tree roots, then seek more tasty wood to eat. So, you might inject some anti-termite juice around those roots, something persistent. I understand that arsenic does a good job killing ants, but maybe termites don't care for it much either? Do some research on what is best, and quickest to apply so you don't screw up your site schedule much.

    ReplyDelete