Wednesday, June 21, 2017

American Pokeweed

Image result for american pokeweed
 
This time we are talking about American Pokeweed. At one time this was a heavily eaten plant. So much so that companies actually commercially canned pokeweed. The Allen company canned a lot of poke. I tried to find a photo of the old cans that I could legally share but I didn't find any.
 
Poke can be cooked as a pot herb but the most common way they are eaten is with scrambled eggs. A nutritional powerhouse. This plant must be processed correctly or it can make you quite sick.
 
 
There are also several ways it can be used as an herbal medicine. In fact, I really need to make some extract. I have promised some to friends of mine.
 
Well there you have it. I hope you enjoyed this post. Many more to come. Consider subscribing to the YouTube channel and as always any shares and comments are appreciated. If you would like to support our efforts to teach some of the old ways and are planning on buying something on Amazon anyway, please use this link. We receive a small commission and it doesn't cost you any extra. Thanks a bunch.
 
Bringing Rural Back.