Monday, April 14, 2014

Guest Post by my Wife: God Gave Me a Carter


by Nicole Carter

Family. It’s a beautiful thing. Most of my blood family is nearly diminished, but fortunately God knew how important it was to me and he gave me a Carter. I know that may sound weird but the minute my husband first introduced me to his family, I knew I wanted to be a part of that clan.Today the Carter’s laid to rest a man that I had only met a handful of times. I can honestly say that it didn’t matter that I did not know him on a personal level. His grandson (my husband) made sure I knew a great deal about this patriarch who helped shape everyone in his dynasty.I saw so many people this weekend heart-broken over the loss of Mack Carter. He had touched so many lives, including mine. People from everywhere came to say good-by, and I am so honored that I got to be a part of it. I witnessed a 21 gun salute, and Cherokee rituals as well as Christian preaching all in one service. It was absolutely beautiful. It was also heart-wrenching watching so many tears shed, that I couldn’t help but to compare it to what it must have been like the day Abraham’s family lost him.After the burial service when we went back to the mountain where he lived with his precious wife (of 66 years!), the family gathered there to eat. Once again, I was in awe at the amount of people. They were everywhere! And I loved it. I loved the fact that walking in their home and on that land is almost like stepping back in time and almost like a little piece of heaven on earth. I love the fact that even though my husband is grief stricken he is so proud and willing to explain to me the tools that hang on the wall of the front porch of the house. I love how he showed me the chickens, goats, and the land where the garden was going to be. I love the beautiful pond that sits in the middle of this oasis.But more importantly it’s still the family. Even in all of the sadness they were able to laugh, share stories, and comfort one another. They have welcomed me and my kids with open arms, and accepted me as their own. I heard people say that Mack Carter was a very strong man. He has sent forth some strong sons and a daughter, grandchildren and great-grandchildren as well. I cannot fully explain the impact that this family has had on me. But I know this. He helped shape a Godly man who found a broken woman and helped put her back together. And for that I am indebted to him. I hope to help honor him and do my best to continue to learn from this family so that in some small way, I can help carry on his legacy.

You can read my tribute here Saying Goodbye to a True Homestead Hero

You can subscribe to The Rural Economist by email by simply filling out the form at the top right of the page. Your information will never be sold or given to anyone else. You can like The Rural Economist on Facebook. Or you can even follow The Rural Economist on Pintrest.

This post shared on the following blog hops:

No comments:

Post a Comment